According to U.S. Census Bureau data reported by Texas Monthly
, San Marcos was the fastest growing city in the nation for 2012-2013. San Marcos grew 8 percent between July 2012 and July 2013 and that translates into increased traffic, which is the number one complaint we hear. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into the Central Texas’ region’s largest employers and the rental options that surround them. This is the third in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and focuses on San Marcos’ largest employer, Texas State University
Texas State University is the fifth-largest university in Texas with over 34,000 students, ten colleges and approximately fifty schools and departments. Its Geography, Criminal Justice and Music programs are all nationally recognized. Texas State also has the unique distinction of being the only University in Texas to produce a President of the United States, President Lyndon B. Johnson, who graduated from Texas State in 1930. Texas State also employs over 3,201 local residents.
Positions available at Texas State include Systems Programmer I (salary range $4,105+ monthly), Administrative Assistant III (salary range $2,500-$3,600 monthly), Custodian (salary range $1,500-$1,906 monthly), Program specialist ($2,837 monthly), Residence Hall Director (salary $2,518-$2,668 monthly), and many more.
There are a large number of restaurants in the area that provide lunch for Texas State students and staff. Alvin Ord’s Sandwich Shop
is known for their large, fresh sandwiches made on homemade bread priced lower than their competitors. Italian Garden
is popular with locals for affordable hearty, generous Italian food favorites like Calamari and Cannelloni, and its all-you-can-eat salad and breadsticks are perfect for those on a budget.
For Texas State employees looking for a happy hour spot, The Tap Room
is another option, with over 100 types of beer and pub food.
You won’t have to commute far to your new job at Texas State University if you choose one of the apartments in the area, of which there are many with lots of amenities.
- Hillside Ranch, built in 1999, is a 10 minute walk or 2 minute drive from Texas State and is on the shuttle route. 1-5 bedroom apartments are available and range in size from 501 to 1985 square feet. Cable and internet are both paid and full-sized washer and dryers are in all units. The complex has a 9 hole disc golf course, putting green, basketball court, outdoor kitchens with gas grills and a resort style pool.
- Dakota Ranch was built in 2002 and is just three minutes from campus via surface streets. Floorplans range from 1-3 bedrooms and 523 to 1,111 square feet and feature full sized washer and dryers, large walk-in closets, and paid internet and cable. Surrounded by a green belt, Dakota Ranch has walking trails and a rustic feel.
- Iconic Village was built in 1974 and was recently remodeled with stained concrete floors, accent walls in modern paint colors and a vintage vibe. Just a nine minute walk or 3 minute drive north of Texas State, Iconic Village has units ranging from a 412 square foot efficiency to a 788 square foot two bedroom. There is a community garden, a dog park, pool with swim-up bar, and the complex is on the TSU shuttle route.
- Treehouse Apartments were built in 1971, were also recently remodeled, and are just a minute walk from the edge of campus. One bedroom and two bedroom apartments are available, ranging in size from 550 to 925 square feet, and featuring faux wood flooring, upgraded counters and countertops, and spacious floorplans.
- Highcrest Apartments are a 7 minute walk or two minute drive from campus, were built in 1985, and range in size from a 611 square foot one bedroom to a 981 square foot two bedroom townhouse. Units feature renovated interiors, hardwood flooring, alarms, and stainless steel appliances. The complex is pet friendly, has a hot tub, a basketball court, and extra storage.
- Elysian at Purgatory Creek is six minutes by car from Texas State via surface streets and was built in 2011. This community designed for professionals has 1-2 bedroom apartments ranging in size from 654 to 1649 square feet. Apartments feature double wall construction to minimize noise, plank wood and stained concrete flooring, spacious walk-in showers, and private patios. This gated community has a creek side jogging trail, private garages and carports available, steam room, sauna, and a two-tier swimming pool overlooking a private lake.
These are just a few of the rental options for Texas State University employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. Finding the perfect balance of minimal commute and maximum lifestyle for your budget can be challenging. As apartment locators, it is our job to provide you valuable insight into each of your rental options so you choose the best apartment the first time. Our service is free to our clients and can save you valuable days looking for a rental. Call 512-805-0123 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.sanmarcosapartmentexperts.com
for more information on our apartment locator services.